Columbus Rideshare Accident Attorney
Pursuing a Claim Against Uber or Lyft Drivers in OH
According to a Pew Research Center survey, 36% of people said they have hailed a ride through a rideshare service in 2018. That's more than double the amount of people who have used ridesharing just a few years earlier. And while ride-hailing is a convenient way for people to get to their destinations, the jump in cars on the road has also led to an increase in car accidents. When someone is injured because of a rideshare driver's negligence, one of the first questions that comes up is "Who do I file my claim against?" The answer is complicated, as these matters are somewhat different from regular car accidents. The insurance coverage that applies depends on the drive period.
At Henderson, Mokhtari & Weatherly, our compassionate team recognizes the hurdles and obstacles that can arise when seeking to recover compensation for damages resulting from a traffic collision. That is why our Columbus rideshare accident attorneys provide skilled and effective guidance through these matters. Our team can review your situation, conduct an investigation to determine liability, and aggressively pursue your case. We can develop a compelling legal strategy on your behalf and work toward recovering the compensation you need and deserve.
We are accessible, responsive, and ready to take your call. Contact us at (614) 918-4440 today. Your initial consultation is free.
Who Do I File My Rideshare Claim Against?
Normally, in an auto accident case, determining where to submit your claim is apparent once you determine who's at fault. If it was the other driver, you take legal action against them (or rather you initiate a case with their insurance company).
However, in a rideshare accident, after establishing fault, you must also determine the drive period. Was the driver logged into the app or not? Were they transporting a passenger at the time of the accident? These are just a couple of the questions you'll need to ask to successfully pursue your claim. And at Henderson, Mokhtari & Weatherly, we can ensure that we find the right answer and help start the process for seeking financial recovery.
The insurance company you submit your claim to is as follows:
- The rideshare driver's: Both Uber and Lyft require drivers to carry their own insurance. If the driver was not logged onto the rideshare app at the time of the accident, you would file a claim with their insurance company.
- The rideshare company's: If the driver was logged into the app and waiting for a request or transporting a passenger and they caused an accident, Uber's or Lyft's insurance coverage will kick in (if the driver's doesn't apply). If the driver was waiting for a ride, Uber and Lyft each maintain third-party liability coverage of $50,000 per person for bodily injury, $100,000 per accident for bodily injury, and $25,000 per accident for property damage. If the driver was going to pick up a passenger or transporting them, Uber and Lyft each have $1,000,000 third-party liability coverage for accidents occurring during this drive period.
- The other driver's: If you were a passenger in a rideshare vehicle and another driver caused the accident, you would pursue a claim with that individual's insurance company. If they are uninsured or don't have adequate insurance, the rideshare company's uninsured/underinsured motorist liability coverage would apply.
Take Legal Action with the Help of Henderson, Mokhtari & Weatherly
At our firm, our rideshare accident lawyers in Columbus have over 70 years of combined experience and have an in-depth understanding of the nuances of personal injury law. We will be available to answer your questions and ensure that you are aware of the progress of your case. Our team will maintain open and honest communication with you and help make informed decisions about how to proceed.
Get legal representation from a firm that'll do what it takes to seek results. Call (614) 918-4440 or submit an online contact form.
Meet Our Lead Personal Injury AttorneyDedicated & Passionate Advocacy
What Sets Us Apart?
- 75+ Years of Combined Experience
- A Team-Oriented Approach
- Available 24/7 for Our Clients
- Unmatched Work Ethic & Passion for Winning