Cleveland Slip and Fall Attorneys
Helping Victims Seek the Compensation They Deserve
Slip and falls are serious accidents that can result in injury, emergency room visits, missed work, and hefty medical bills. If the slip and fall occurred on another's property because of the owner's negligence, under personal injury law, the victim might be entitled to pursue a claim. In these types of cases, if the property owner is found to be at fault, the victim might be awarded compensation for damages, such as medical expenses, lost wages, and pain/suffering. The monetary recovery may not erase the experience or the lasting damage that resulted, but it can help the victim return their life to as close to normal as possible.
If you were injured in a slip and fall accident, speak with Henderson, Mokhtari & Weatherly about your case. We have over 75 years of combined experience and can skillfully guide you through your case. When you retain our services, we can investigate the matter, speak with witnesses, review surveillance footage (if applicable), examine reports and documents, and complete all necessary groundwork. Our team can work tirelessly on your behalf to build a compelling legal strategy and seek fair compensation for the harm you suffered.
Common Places Slip and Falls Occur
It may sound obvious, but anywhere a person walks is a possible location for a slip and fall accident.
That being said, some of the most common places such accidents occur include:
- Parking garages: Because of the way they're built, these structures don't have a lot of natural light in them, which is why they usually have light fixtures. But if a light goes out and the garage owner is negligent in replacing it in a reasonable manner, a person walking through the structure may be unable to see hazards within and can trip and fall over whatever obstruction was in their path.
- Parking lots: Although these areas are out in the open and receive a lot of natural light (or have lampposts installed that provide bright light at night), they are typically lined with asphalt. This material is prone to cracks and raised areas, which can be hazardous to people passing through. If the owner is aware of potential dangers but does not address the issue in a timely manner, they may be liable for damages arising from a slip and fall occurring in the lot.
- Workplace: Employers are responsible for ensuring areas where people may walk through are clear of hazards and dangers. This requirement applies to all companies, not just those in industries, such as construction, that are inherently dangerous. Failure of an employer to maintain adequate workplace conditions or respond to hazards can give grounds for an injury claim should a slip and fall occur in the workplace.
- Sidewalks: The person or entity responsible for maintaining sidewalks -- whether a property owner or the government – must repair or address hazards such as cracks or divets within a reasonable amount of time. If they don't, and a person trips and falls, they may be responsible for damages resulting from the injury.
- Grocery stores: Spills on the floor, cracked walkways, or inadequately maintained entrances and exits can cause a person to slip and fall. If the store owner was negligent in fixing the hazards, the victim could pursue a claim against them.
- Staircases: A slip and fall accident can occur on a staircase if the structure was poorly constructed, the handrails were broken, the steps were cracked or inadequately maintained, or the steps were wet or icy, among other reasons. The property owner may be considered financially responsible for injury-related expenses and losses the victim suffered.
Who Is Liable in a Slip and Fall Case?
As suggested in the previous section, various people or entities can be held responsible for slip and fall accidents. Private and commercial property owners, as well as the government, must ensure their property is safe for visitors and employees. If they are negligent in fulfilling their duties, the injured party may have grounds to bring a claim against them.
Determining who is liable for your slip and fall matter is essential for ensuring you take legal action against the correct party. Additionally, it is vital for knowing what steps you must take to resolve your case, as filing a claim against the government is different from doing such against a private or commercial property owner. Thus, it's crucial that you discuss your case with Henderson, Mokhtari & Weatherly. Our Cleveland slip and fall attorneys can help ensure that your claim is submitted correctly.
We Will Work Hard for You
We know that seeking just compensation is important for getting the necessary care you need to treat your injury. That is why our slip and fall lawyers in Cleveland can explore every legal option and do what is required to work toward obtaining a favorable result on your behalf.
- 75+ Years of Combined Experience
- A Team-Oriented Approach
- Available 24/7 for Our Clients
- Unmatched Work Ethic & Passion for Winning