Types of Personal Injury Cases We Handle
Accidents can happen in several settings, and a personal injury claim can arise for several reasons – they are not just limited to traffic collisions. Basically, any time a person owes another a duty of care, and they breach that duty, the injured party can take legal action to hold them liable.
Our personal injury lawyers provide sound legal guidance for a variety of matters in Cleveland, including:
- Auto accidents: A person involved in a car accident because of another driver’s negligence or recklessness may be able to pursue a personal injury claim and seek compensation for damages.
- Motor vehicle accidents: Motor vehicle accidents are collisions involving cars, trucks, motorcycles, commercial vehicles. If another driver was at fault, the injured party may have rights to pursue a claim.
- Motorcycle accidents: Motorcycle accidents can result in substantial injuries, as the biker is not protected the same way a person in a passenger vehicle is. It’s essential to seek compensation to help cover accident-related damages.
- Nursing home liability: Negligence on the part of nursing home staff and administrators can result in residents suffering injury or death. A personal injury claim can help hold the facility liable for its reckless actions or inactions.
- Slip and fall accidents: Property owners have a duty to provide safe environments for visitors. Neglecting that duty by failing to maintain walkways or areas with high foot traffic can lead to injury-causing accidents.
- Truck accidents: When a commercial truck driver fails to exercise reasonable care while on the road, they can cause accidents that result in a significant amount of damage. In some cases, many people or entities could be liable for the collision.
- Wrongful death: If a loved one dies because of the negligent or reckless actions of another, surviving family members may be entitled to pursue a claim and seek compensation for expenses and losses arising from the accident.
- Rideshare accidents: Successfully filing a claim against a rideshare driver who caused an accident requires a thorough investigation of the incident. Depending on the stage of the drive, either the driver’s or the rideshare company’s insurance kicks in.
- Bicycle accidents: Cyclists injured in collisions may be entitled to pursue a claim or lawsuit against the at-fault party and seek compensation for losses or expenses they incurred.
- Dog bites: Dog bites can cause serious injury, including diseases, needing medical treatment that may result in steep bills. Victims can take legal action against the owner to seek financial recovery for damages.
- Pedestrian accidents: Accidents involving pedestrians and vehicles can result in serious injury or even death. Those harmed may have the right to file a claim or a civil lawsuit to hold the at-fault party responsible and seek compensation for the harm they suffered.
What to Do After an Accident or Injury
To bring a convincing personal injury claim, you sometimes need to have strong evidence of what happened and why. In the moments after an accident happens, you can often find the best available evidence of liability. For this reason, what you do after an accident matters, whether you were hit by a reckless driver, slipped on someone’s staircase, or got hurt in another way.
Five steps to remember after an accident or injury are:
- Call emergency responders if the injury is serious or if the accident scene could result in further injuries, like after a car accident.
- Get contact and insurance information from all involved parties, which can vary depending on the type of accident.
- Take photographs and video footage of the accident scene, including anything that looks relevant.
- Don’t apologize or say that you’re “sorry,” which can be misconstrued by an opposing insurance company as an admission of guilt or liability.
- See a medical doctor for a checkup as soon as possible if you didn’t get emergency treatments.
Reach out to Henderson, Mokhtari & Weatherly to discuss the details of your situation.