Theft Lawyer Cleveland, OH
Theft Charges in Ohio
Theft occurs when a person takes property without authorization or when a person intends to permanently deprive a person of their property. If you have been charged with a theft crime, you need to get in touch with a Cleveland theft attorney as soon as possible.
At Henderson, Mokhtari & Weatherly, our firm can work to protect you from the penalties of a theft conviction and fight to ensure your rights are not violated throughout the process.
Ohio Theft Penalties
Like many states, Ohio theft offenses are punishable to different degrees depending on the value of the property or money stolen. Even if you only stole one item, it may carry much more severe penalties if the value was high.
You could be facing the following charges and penalties:
- 5th degree felony theft Ohio: If you steal between $1,000 and $7,500 by credit card, check or vehicle license plate, you could be facing up to 6 to 12 months in jail and up to $2,500 in fines.
- Theft in the fourth degree: Also known as grand theft, this charge is for between $7,500 and $150,000 or a motor vehicle. It can result in up to 18 months in jail and a fine of up to $5,000.
- Theft in the third degree: Also known as aggravated theft, it pertains to theft of $150,000 and $750,000 or stealing a firearm or anhydrous ammonia. It results in up to 5 years in jail and up to $10,000 in fines.
- Theft in the second degree: This includes stealing between $750,000 and $1,500,000. It carries 2 to 8 years in jail and up to $15,000 in fines.
- Felony theft in the first degree: This occurs when over $1, 500,000 has been stolen. It results in and 3 to 11 years in prison.
Theft of under $1,000 is a misdemeanor punishable by up to 180 days in jail and/or up to $1,000 in fines.
Contact Us for Dedicated Legal Support
If you have been charged with theft in the Cleveland area, don't waste time! You need to retain proven legal representation to contest your criminal offense charges. A Cleveland theft attorney from Henderson, Mokhtari & Weatherly can put their award-winning legal skills to work for you. We have an A+ grade from the Better Business Bureau and have been listed in the National Trial Lawyers Top 100 list of attorneys.
Get in touch with our Cleveland theft lawyers today and we can go over your legal options during a free evaluation of your case.
- 75+ Years of Combined Experience
- A Team-Oriented Approach
- Available 24/7 for Our Clients
- Unmatched Work Ethic & Passion for Winning