Experiencing a traumatic injury is never easy, however, knowing that your suffering is due to someone else’s negligence can make matters that much more difficult. If you were hurt by a reckless driver, you should consider filing a personal injury claim — this will allow you to seek justice and receive compensation for your suffering. However, it’s important to note that there is a statute of limitations for these cases.
Statute of Limitations for Personal Injury Claims
In Ohio, the statute of limitations for most personal injury cases is two years.
There are a few Exceptions
Under some circumstances, the statute of limitations is longer than two years.
- You were a minor at the time: If the injured party was a minor at the time the accident took place, they have two years from their 18th birthday to file a personal injury claim.
- Medical malpractice: Physician accidents may not be noticeable or detected for years. In these cases, the statute of limitations is two years from the date the wrongdoing is discovered.
- Incarceration: If the defendant is in jail or prison following the accident, that time will not be counted. The two-year deadline will begin once they are released.
- COVID-19 extensions: The time requirement was tolled in cases where the statute of limitations was set to run out between March 9th and July 30th, 2020.
Receiving Compensation After an Accident
You can receive compensation for both monetary and emotional costs after an accident.
- Medical bills
- Future medical bills for chronic injury
- Lost wages from time spent out of work recovering
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment
Ohio Personal Injury Attorneys
At Henderson & Weatherly, we understand that your first priority after an accident is healing. We also understand the importance of filing your personal injury claim before the statute of limitations expires. You deserve compensation, let our team help you get it.
You can contact us online at any time or give our team a call at (216) 220-6776 to discuss the details of your accident with our Cleveland personal injury attorney.